(1) The ability or tendency of an organism or cell to maintain internal equilibrium by adjusting its physiological processes. (The Free Dictionary)
(2) A Homeostatic system state is one where the system is static but its elements are dynamic. The system maintains its state by internal adjustments. (Ackoff 1971)
(3) Homeostasis is the maintenance of suitable operating conditions for all contained systems. (Hitchins 2007)
(1) The Free Dictionary. s.v. "Homeostasis." Available at: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homeostasis.
Ackoff, R.L. 1971. "Towards a System of Systems Concepts." Management Science. 17(11), USA.
Hitchins, D. 2007. Systems Engineering: A 21st Century Systems Methodology. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
(1) dictionary definition for living organisms.
(2) is theoretical system science definition which applies to all system, conducting internal actions to hold themselves in the same state (see also entropy ).
(3) applies to complex engineered systems and describes system activities or sub systems who's purpose to to maintain stable conditions inside the system to allow other system to operate, e.g. air conditioning or sound insulation.
Please provide your comments and feedback on the SEBoK below. You will need to log in to DISQUS using an existing account (e.g. Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) or create a DISQUS account. Simply type your comment in the text field below and DISQUS will guide you through the login or registration steps. Feedback will be archived and used for future updates to the SEBoK. If you provided a comment that is no longer listed, that comment has been adjudicated. You can view adjudication for comments submitted prior to SEBoK v. 1.0 at SEBoK Review and Adjudication. Later comments are addressed and changes are summarized in the Letter from the Editor and Acknowledgements and Release History.
If you would like to provide edits on this article, recommend new content, or make comments on the SEBoK as a whole, please see the SEBoK Sandbox.blog comments powered by Disqus